Saturday, December 03, 2005

Anthony's Testimony

3 December 2005

I am honored to know Anthony. Why? Because he is the first to be baptized in our church, in Malaysia. I want to know his story and this is it. I am thankful for his permission to publish it here and share it with you. I have chosen today (3rd December) because this is the 33rd anniversary of his membership.

Picture of me, Lian and Yean with Anthony and his grand-daughter (Jaszlyn) taken on the 20 November 2005.



MY CONVERSION FROM A BUDDHIST NOVICE MONK TO AN ELDER
by Anthony Lim of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints,
27 Nov. 2005.


1. INTRODUCTION

When I was ten years old, I wanted to be a priest for God, our Heavenly Father. I was willing to give myself to him, because deep inside me, I was ready made for him, like Samuel of old, who was called at a young age.

At 17, my mom told us that my younger brother and I were to be ordained as Buddhist Novice Monks upon the death of my father, because she believed when the sons held the priesthood, it would help absolved the sins of the family, and spread blessings for the family. I was willing to do it out of respect to her. Thus, I became very active in Buddhist Temples and even took the lead to become a Buddhist Youth Leader, until, one day, the Buddhist Leaders and Youth decided to make me the leader for Malaysia Buddhist Youths and earmarked for Buddhist leader for the country. Even the Chinese Abbot, 70, came one night to my mother to discuss the matter with her....if I would become a permanent monk for which he would donate his bungalow house and Temple at Chow Kit Road, the prime area, for me. The cost at that time was about 1m. dollars in 1960's (which would equal to RM 3m -4m in-2005).

I was also offered overseas travels by a rich man to lecture Buddhism. With such lucrative offers -house/land, travels and top position in Buddhist hierarchy for a young man without much means was surely very attractive and tempting. As the Singapore University Buddhist Leader, I arranged to have monks lecture to the Buddhist undergraduates.

2. CRUCIAL TURNING POINT

Now, that was the crucial time for a big decision: "Was Buddhism the right religion for me?" At the same time, I was also exposed to other religions by study as well as by attending lectures of Bahai faith, Islam, Hinduism, Sai Baba, Roman Catholic, Jehovah Witness, Seven Adventist, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist, Calvary and Assembly of God, and Gospel Business Chapters, etc.

I was more scared of leading people to an incorrect religion for I did not wish to face God for my leadership and responsibility. I did not like the idea of a being a Leader leading people astray in religious living.

3. CHRIST'S WORDS HAVE POWER FOR CHANGE

So, I asked God "Which religion is correct?"

I believed Christianity touched my heart because it was centered on Jesus Christ as the Son of God Almighty who was our personal Father in Heaven and Christ atoned for our sins as the Savior of mankind, and our personal Savior.

His Gospel and his Life amplified love, mercy and service for people....Christ was the magnificent God in human flesh to expound and amplified God's life, love, mercy and service to mankind.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His Only Begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have Everlasting Life." (John 3:16)

"And this is Life Eternal that they might know Thee the Only True God and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) Knowing the true God, and Jesus Christ and the Gospel will lead one to Heavenly Father and gain Eternal Life.

When Thomas, one of his disciples asked Jesus, how could they find the way to go to the Father? Almost all teachers answer that they will show us the way and to God, but Jesus answered specifically, "I am the Way. The Truth and the Life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me." (John 14:6). No other teacher has so much profound answer and power as Jesus as "The Way, The Truth and The Life!"

I could feel the power of his words which have consequence of the Spirit and the Eternal Life; His words have power to change people's lives...to become from bad to good, good to better and better to the best and perfect.

"If you ask any thing in my name, I will do it." (John 14:14), assured Jesus to His disciples, with power and authority of his promise....to make things come true!

When Christ the Lord had risen from the dead, he appeared to many. Addressing his disciples, Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you." Matt. 2:18-19).

That Christ rose from the dead as a resurrected Savior was a magnificent miracle or event ever recorded in history. Has anything of such magnitude and manifestation ever said or recorded of other religious prophets and teachers? He even commanded that missionary work of saving souls for God to spread world-wide.

These five verses have a tremendous impact on me with its deep meanings: given a free choice of beliefs but no choice of eternal consequences which follow. Therefore, we should use our free agency of choice correctly and wisely because it bears the eternal reward or retribution accordingly.

4. FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH THE CHURCH

But then, I was confused with so many denominations. Strange it might seem, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came as the last sect in Christianity to me from my cousin, Jon Lim, from Singapore.

I first met the small group of eight people (including myself) at Merlin Hotel room with Bro. Nicolas Jamba, Mary and Jon Lim, my cousin in November, 1971. My first impression was this: Indeed, this was the smallest church in the world! (in 2005, the Church has a membership of 14 million people).They bore their testimonies of the restoration of the gospel and church, and the fullness of the gospel, which caught me by surprise---what another sect to choose from?

When we went out for lunch they asked me what drink I wanted. "Coffee" was a normal answer, but I could sense the bewildered look in their eyes as if coffee was a forbidden drink. That was when I raised the question:"Tell me the truth why you do not drink coffee." Mary replied,""Coffee, a stimulant, was not good for the body as the body was the Temple of God which housed the Holy Spirit."

5. OBEDIENCE FIRST LAW OF HEAVEN

Wow! I was impressed that these Church members were holy people who did not drink coffee or tea! I knew Brahmins drank milk, and no wine. So if I wanted to be holy, I might have to abstain from coffee or tea. Indeed, I requested to have my drink changed to orange juice, following their same order.

That evening, I announced to my mother, brother and sisters, in fact, the whole household, that I would no longer drink coffee or tea, to which my sister retorted, "What kind of Christianity is that that does not allow members to drink coffee or tea?"

Further, my elder sister complaint that I caused so much commotion in the family for my Christian belief when most the family members were obedient to mother in remaining as Buddhists. "Why can't you wait until mother passed away and become a Christian, we shall have no objections to your belief?" pestered my sister. And other family members felt I "rebelled" against family traditions of disobeying an elderly woman. When I asked God what steps I should take, a clear voice answered in my mind in the afternoon: "They are not against you ; they are against me."

Until now, my mother was still alive at age 95, after 33 years! But, thank God, I became a Christian according to my belief and experience, and managed to help build God's Kingdom for these years.

Because it came from God through revelation, I abstained from drinking them immediately from that day....Knowing that it was revelation from God had a instant impact on me to obey it immediately as I was told obedience was the first law of Heaven, which I strongly believed.

6. INSPIRATION TO STUDY THE HOLY SCRIPTURES

I studied the Book of Mormon assiduously as I was told to find out if it was truly from God. But, by mid-way, I paused reading it as it contained contentions and retribution of wars between Nephites and Lamanites, their bloodsheds of which I strongly attested as repugnant to my mind and taste. I pondered over what I had studied and asked God if these writings were true.

I asked God if He would show me the Truth and the true church, I vowed to serve Him for the rest of my life.

But if I asked Him and I did not get the true answer, I said I could not be blamed for the incorrect church I joined. But, thank God, He did answer my prayers!

When they told me that I had to take the six lessons first to familiarize with some basic gospel principles, I stressed that I studied the Book of Revelations more times than the Bible. However, out of respect for the Elders (Hey! I was completely surprised these were young missionaries , not elderly men!) I gave them the chance to rehearse their teaching moments with me!

Upon one year's waiting, I studied Talmage's "Jesus the Christ" Elder Grand Richard's "Marvelous Book and a Wonder" and J.F. Smith's Questions and Answers, Church magazines and newspapers and the Book of Mormon.

Strangely enough, upon studying Joseph Smith's testimony about his vision and conversation with God the Father and Jesus Christ at the grove at Palmyra in 1823, I was so impressed that he was so privileged and chosen as a holy boy of 14. Subsequent visits by the angel Moroni, he was instructed to seek out the gold plates for gospel translation. His description of receiving the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist in 1829 and the Melchizedeck Priesthood by Peter, James and John were the most remarkable events, and so was his martyrdom in 1844, being killed by the mob to seal his blood with his testimony.

7. CONFIRMATION BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY GHOST

When the Spirit spoke to my mind in a soft voice inside my mind "This is it!" The voice confirmed in my mind that Joseph Smith's Testimony was true, and the Book of Mormon contained the words of God. Jumping for joy, and feeling elated, like one who had won a gold medal at the Olympics, I knew I had come across the true church and I was so eager to be baptised as soon as possible! I testify to those who read my testimony that Joseph Smith was truly called of God as a Prophet who saw the first vision of God and Christ, followed by visitations of Angel Moroni, John the Baptist, Peter, James and John bestowing the keys of the Melchizedek Priesthood after the Order of the Son of God.

Later, on April 3, 1836, the Lord Jehovah appeared and accepted the Kirtland Temple, followed by Joseph Smith receiving the main keys of dispensations from Moses for the gathering of Israel; from Elias the dispensation of gospel of Abraham for the blessing of our seeds to perfect the saints; and from Elijah for redeeming the dead....all these three keys of dispensations formed the three missions of the Church. Multifarious revelations followed and were recorded by Joseph Smith.

Thus, Joseph Smith was the instrument of God to restore the fullness of the Gospel and keys of this dispensation of times. Next to Jesus Christ, as Pres. Taylor said, J. Smith was the person who ever lived on earth. One could say, he excelled contribution to mankind, made by the Presidents of USA or any other ruler on earth--that's my opinion and analysis.

8. WHY I BELIEVE THIS CHURCH

Why do I believe in the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints and not other sectarian churches? Christ revealed to Joseph all the necessary restoration and the fullest of the gospel, the keys of the Melchizedek Priesthood, the ordinances pertaining to eternal perspectives in the Temple, etc.

The best witness anyone can have is to have the confirmation by the power of the Holy Ghost to know these revelations are truly from God. I testify they are really from God as the Spirit confirms them to me.

When I had earned well enough to pay tithing after one year's waiting, I was baptised at 6.30 am at Merlin Hotel pool (now known as Concorde Hotel, Kuala Lumpur) on 3 Dec. 1972 by my cousin, Jon Lim. Early morning baptism was to symbolize a rising generation to build and establish the Kingdom of God. I felt a tingling sensation over my body upon baptism.I was the first pioneer to be baptised in Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia.

The answer that the Church was true was so electrifying that I enrolled for the Institute Class before and after baptism to ferret out further to understand the Holy Scriptures more...the Book of Mormon, the Bible, Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price. I attended the Class for a few years, because I was so determined to increase my spirituality in order to discuss with the Pastors....that was why I studied the scriptures assiduously at the Institute Class for several years with much pondering, fasting and prayer.

9. INFANCY OF MEMBERSHIP

Did I faced persecution as a Church Member?

During the period of my early membership, my mother was adamant against my joining the church because I was an active Buddhist youth helping organizing Buddhist organisation and charity organisation , such as, organizing party for the handicapped children with the Catholic nuns, St. John's ambulance, cheering up the handicapped children.

Besides family persecution, we had a neighbour complaining to the Kuala Lumpur Municipal Council about the traffic jam and noises on Sunday next to his house, including a Buddhist Temple in front of his home. So, we had to find alternative sites for meeting---this persecution ran for a few years until we settled in our New Headquarters at Petaling Jaya. The old site of the Petaling Jaya building was dedicated on 22 June, 2008 by Pres. Skelton of the Singapore Mission, after 29 years! My daughter, Vivien Lim, (the first baby born in the second generation), and grand-daughter, Jaszlyn Kuan -Jem McNair, and myself represented the three generations of pioneers in attendance. My son, Elisha Lim, studied in BYU then.

When we first registered the Church, it took us almost five years to be officially recognized by the Government....finally on 19 October, 1977, after much prayer and fasting. The official Directors of the Church of Malaysia Constitution were Pres. Soren Cox, Singapore Mission, Pres. Peterson, Bro. Anthony T.K. Lim, and Bro. Rodney B.L. How.

As an Apostle, Elder Hinckley visited Kuala Lumpur in 26 June, 1976 when we sent our first local missionaries, Elder Derrick Ho and Elder Chan Wei Leong to Singapore to be set apart.

With the Elder and Sis. Kieppes who helped to purchase the Petaling Jaya Building in 1979, they started the local missionary team in 1980 with almost ten local members. Elder Chong and David Soon served in Ipoh while the others served in other parts of Malaysia under Pres, Talmage, Singapore Mission. I served as the Mission Leader for ten years when missionary work was at a fast pace.

And it took us another two years to obtain tax exemption for the church as a whole for donations. By strange coincidence or by divine providence, when my mom's god-daughter, Teoh Geok Hong, was the tax executive, she was in charge of our church taxation file, after one or two years of frustration as to our missing church letter to the income tax. After one year and a half of fasting and prayer and personal pursuance of the case, the church file was divinely placed under her charge, it was finally approved for tax exemption for the church---coincidently, we had one million dollars (Malaysian) from overseas, which allowed 40% tax emption for the church, saving us four hundred thousands of dollars at the time of church tax emption allowed!!!

10. INSPIRED TO DO MISSIONARY WORK

I believed missionary work for the living was as important as was for the dead. I was the Branch Mission Leader for almost ten years, during which time, many souls were baptised. This was the only calling I had which took me some years of my life, because I believed missionary work was not part-time or two full years but a life time calling: "Every member a missionary" (David O McKay).

Following 1976 or so, I vividly remembered one afternoon, when Church Service was over in YWCA, Kuala Lumpur, there were two souls left in the Hall. I heard a clear voice inside my mind, saying to me: "Go, and ask that gentleman if he would want to serve in Malaysia." That American gentleman was standing in front of me facing the stage. I looked around to see who was speaking to me. No one was in sight. Again the voice requested: "Go on, ask him." I realized that the voice was no ordinary human voice but from above....with much clarity and authority.

I even felt my hands being led towards the gentleman and I followed and obeyed accordingly. When I faced the gentleman, I asked his name, which he replied,
"Peterson", and after exchange pleasantries, I plucked up my courage and asked him boldly, "Would you want to serve in Malaysia?" to which he responded immediately, "Of course, I want to, very much!" He and his wife, served in the Singapore Mission and Malaysia twice as couple missionaries.That night, I was walking up and down the house, talking to God that he had no job yet. "We must find him a job here before he could serve here."


Three months later, he got a job at the Gombak Dam as an engineer, and he was called to be the Group Leader and I was his counselor without telling him about the voice that asked about him.

11. OTHER BLESSINGS

By June 19, 1977, I was the first Malaysian to receive the Patriarchal Blessing in Malaysia on Father's Day. Before Patriarch, Briton McConkie, brother of Bruce McConkie, one of the Twelve, pronounced his blessing on me, he reminded me that the blessing would be given as if Heavenly Father Himself would be giving it to me. Indeed, after the lengthy blessing on top of the Tower on a hill, the whole place was brightly lighted up in the afternoon, overlooking the bird's eye-view of Kuala Lumpur. I could feel my countenance shining as bright as the weather! From then on, I was married, and promoted in my job...and Church callings from Branch Mission Leader to Branch Presidency and District Presidency. I was enrolled in the Institute Class for studying the gospel for a few years. I was happy as a lark to increase my gospel knowledge.

I managed to do endowment and baptism for the dead and temple marriage and sealing for about 100 proxies in Manila Temple upon my first visit there, and later in Oct. 2005, my Temple work in Manila was focused on Endowment and Marriage and Sealing for more than 100 couples of the 19 Century.

My son, Elisha Lim Keng Hock, served his mission from Dec .2001 to Dec. 2003 with great success as Zone Leader of the Ogden Utah Mission, USA with leading baptismal results. He served his mission after going through some trials and miracles to overcome his urine test and even restored to his original mission area!

Elisha also achieved to be in the Dean's List (the top 5% of students) in his first year of study at Brighm Young University, Honolulu, Hawaii, and leading result in two subsequent years!

My older child, Vivien Lim Kuan Hui, 25,worked as Health Consultant and free lance Executive, while my grand-daughter, 4, Jaszlyn Kuan Jem McNair, knew and understood a good number of languages-English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil-- at her tender age!

*******

No comments: