Saturday, May 06, 2006

See Kuala Lumpur by Bus

Friday, 5 May 2006
With the increase in petrol prices, I think the cheapest way of moving around Kuala Lumpur is by bus!

She works at the KLCC and lives in Jalan Ipoh. If she doesn't leave by 5 pm, then she has to wait until the traffic is cleared and that would be 730 pm! It takes her less than 15 minutes to drive home, if there is no traffic jam!

I am not a Kuala Lumpur resident, and during my visits I have never tried the bus. Tonight, I have a feel of what it is like to ride a bus in this city. Thanks to my friend for the experience.

"Rapid KL" offers a smart way to travel! You only pay a fare of RM2 for unlimited travel on any of the 15 KL City Shuttle routes. Tickets can be purchased in all the buses and is valid on the day of purchase only.

It is cheap and there are buses every 5 minutes! And you may take city shuttle from any of these hubs: (1) Titiwangsa - located between Jalan Tun Razak and Jalan Pekeliling Lam - Route 101, 102, 103 (2) Kuala Lumpur City Centre (KLCC) - located in front of Suria KLCC (Jalan Ampang) - Route 104, 105, 106 (3) KL Sentral - located between Jalan Bangsar and Jalan Tun Sambanthan - Route 109, 110, 115 (4) Maluri - located in front of Maluri LRT, Jalan Cheras - Route 111, 112, 113, 114 (5) Medan Pasar - located along Jalan Hang Kasturi (Pasar Seni) until Medan Pasar (next to the HSBC bank) - Route 101, 102, 105, 108, 111, 113.

I bought a MR2 ticket from KLCC to Titiwangsa. From Titiwangsa to Jalan Ipoh, I had to buy another ticket, which is only MR1. I cannot use the MR2 ticket because it is outside the city shuttle routes. Likewise the MR1 ticket is valid for the day of travel, anytime, no limit, both ways.

Later, we decided to visit Petaling Street, a must for tourist! The street is lined up with stalls selling all sorts of things every night.

In order to get there, we have to go to Titiwangsa first, so we board a 'RapidKL' bus from Jalan Ipoh to Titiwangsa. I didn't have to pay any more. I only need to show the driver my MR1 ticket.

Then we board another 'RapidKL' bus from Titiwangsa to Medan Pasar (one of the 15 KL City Shuttle routes). I didn't have to pay either. I just show the driver my MR2 ticket.

Time to go back home. We decided to pass the KLCC before returning to Jalan Ipoh. So we board the 'RapidKL' bus from Medan Pasar to KLCC with the MR2 ticket, board another bus from KLCC to Titiwangsa with the MR2 ticket, then finally another bus from Titiwangsa to Jalan Ipoh with the MR1 ticket.

What a cheap way to travel! 7 bus rides or even more, with only 2 tickets totalling only MR3.

I understand there is a better deal and that is to buy a MR4 ticket and that allows you to travel, unlimited, on the day of purchase, to 57 routines (inclusive of the KL city 15 routes, KL trunk 7 routes and KL local 35 routes, ).

Best part of the whole system is that you do not have stress from driving. You get to relax and enjoy the rides, talk to your friends! However it is not recommendable for people who are in the rush, children or elderly people because sometimes, there are so many people rushing into the bus! I saw that on my first bus from Titiwangsa to Jalan Ipoh as it was the time when everyone is going home from work!

No comments: