Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Dressed Chickens for 2.99 MRinggit/kg

Friday, 29 December 2006

It was quite noisy at the meat section of the Hero Supermarket, Cheras. There was a row of people queuing at the dressed chickens section, especially at the whole chickens corner. The 2 male shop attendants were busy weighing the chickens, putting them in plastics and passing them back to the customers.

It then occurred to me that today was Friday evening and coming Sunday, the Muslims were celebrating Hari Raya Haji, an Islamic festival in conjunction with the Haj pilgrimage.

Not only was that the reason why the many customers were buying the chickens. I saw the price tag hanging at that counter as 2.99/kg!!

I don't know whether you have come across such a cheap offer before. For me, I couldn't believe my eyes! It was not because there was a bird flu epidemic. I don't know whether the other supermarkets in the city were selling their dressed chickens at this special price as well. I think it was a charitable act of the management or whoever owns the place because Hari Raya Haji festival also commemorates Prophet Ibrahim (Koran) or Prophet Abraham (Bible) willingness to sacrifice his son Ismael to God.

But in order to enjoy this price, customers were entitled to only 1 whole dressed chicken for every 20 MRinggit purchase at the supermarket. I am not sure some of the customers realised this condition because I saw some baskets filled with 3-4 chickens with no other purchases. It was only at the cashier counter that the appropriate number of chickens were checked against the amount purchased of the other items in the supermarket.

Never have I bought a dressed chicken for less than 5 MRinggit!

No comments: