Wednesday, November 30, 2005

June - Going Home

My friend (June) gave me the permission to share her experience!

Friday - 18 November 2005, Bandar Tasik Selatan. Yean and myself sent June off at the station at 4:45pm. June bought her ticket and waited for the express train. It would take 30 minutes to Kuala Lumpur International Airport. ETD of her flight was 7:00 pm, she would be in time for check-in.

With the experience of entering the wrong LRT with me last Sunday, June could not risk making any mistake that afternoon and so she confirmed the destination of the train with a fellow passenger. He was a doctor going to Kota Kinabalu and his flight was even earlier than June – 6:30 pm. June was only fully at peace when she saw steward and stewardess in the train!!

It was raining heavily. I calculated that she would be at the KLIA latest by 5:30pm if the train did not go earlier. 5:20 pm, my handphone beeped. June smsed “Train cannot go 2 t airport cos of flood so had 2 go back, 2moro go back Miri”. The heavy downpour had resulted in a flood which was impassable for the KLIA express. I smsed her to take a taxi back to my place.

5:40pm, June smsed “They put us at t Sentral station”

The express had reversed, passed the “Bandar Tasik Selatan” station and stopped at “KL Sentral” station! The latter is the station linking the Kuala Lumpur city and the Kuala Lumpur airport. The “Bandar Tasik Selatan” station is the only transit. We are lucky we are located within its vicinity.

To compensate for the passengers’ inconvenience, June was refunded 26.50 Ringgit for her ticket from Bandar Tasik Selatan to KLIA!! She didn’t have to change her flight because she had intended to buy the ticket at the airport!! If she opted to proceed to the airport, she need not pay the taxi driver any fare. There were taxis waiting at the KL Sentral to send any passengers, on this particular ‘train’ free of charge. However, it was not free to hire a taxi to return to my place! Anyway, that is okay. It was only 15 Ringgit and it was worth it. June had the opportunity to visit the KL Sentral and the Bandar Tasik Selatan stations and the free train ride between them!! The only grievance, understandably, was the luggage!!

Saturday – 19 November 2005. No more KLIA express! June phoned her cab friend, she had acquainted a few days ago, to take her to the airport! ETD of the intended flight is also 7 pm. He would pick June at 3 pm from my place. It would take about 1 hour to the airport if there was no traffic jam.

I think Kuala Lumpur loves June too much, did not want her to leave yet! Coincidentally, it started to rain heavily soon after June left. 3:15pm, my heart skipped when the hand phone beeped. It must be June! What happened now? She smsed “so heavy rain now, I afraid jam again”. I know she would get to KLIA this time, by road, with or without jam. I smsed and put her to ease. The driver, Cheong, impressed me as a honest Cantonese man and I have confidence he would bring her there safely.

4:20pm, June smsed “I reach t a’port now, C u in Miri”

N.B. June and me told Cheong that we would introduce friends to him. If requested, he would put on his tour guide cap. If only he could speak and understand enough English to render his services to foreigners! He said it is not enough and easy to earn as a cab driver alone. He was thinking of venturing into other business in a few years’ time. He could be contacted at 012-694-5167 and his means of income is HB7685.


No comments: